|Overlaying records in Aleph|
|How do I overlay records in Aleph?|
Many times there is a need for an existing bibliographic record in LINCC to be updated or enhanced. This is often done to update records that were entered in the system so that an order could be placed. When the items arrive, they are processed and the corresponding records are updated with more complete information. Most of the time, full bibliographic records can be obtained either from OCLC or other bibliographic databases such as the Library of Congress.
To Overlay records using OCLC:
1. Search for and display the record to be overlaid.
2. Connect to OCLC and find the record that corresponds to the record in LINCC. Note the record’s OCLC number.
3. Return to the record in LINCC and create an 035 field: on the Edit menu, click New field (user-defined), and then type 035. In subfield a, enter the corresponding OCLC number.
Note: The OCLC number must be an eight-digit number. If there are fewer than eight digits in the number, add zeros before the number to increase it to eight digits. For example, 123456 should be entered as 00123456.
4. On the Cataloging menu, click Save on Server and Local Drive (or click the icon). Close the record once it has been saved.
5. Return to the record in OCLC and export it. The record will overlay the existing record in LINCC by matching the OCLC number. The changes to the record on LINCC can be seen once the record is indexed, which usually takes about 30 seconds.
Note: The system is currently configured to overlay all fields in the LINCC record except the 004 field, which contains the previous system number, and any 69X fields, which are local subject headings.
To overlay records using other databases:
1. Search for and display the record to be overlaid in the Cataloging activity tab of the Cataloging module.
2. Select the Find node. In the upper pane, click the 1. Advanced Search tab. In the Base field, select an external database (e.g., Library of Congress).
3. Complete additional fields as needed to search for the record. Display the record in the Show view.
4. In the Show view, click Cataloging to send the record to the Cataloging activity tab of the Cataloging module.
5. When prompted, select the appropriate record format and click OK.
6. The record will be displayed in the Cataloging activity tab. On the Cataloging menu, click Split Editor Mode to split the upper pane into two sections.
7. Display both records in the upper pane.
8. Click the record to be copied (the source record) in order to make it active. On the Edit Text menu, point to Copy and then click Copy Record.
9. Click the record to be replaced (the target record) in order to make it active. On the Edit Text menu, point to Paste and then click Paste Record. Fields from the copied record will appear in the target record.
Note: Information in the SID field and all 9XX fields will NOT be copied from the source record to the target record.
10. To close the source record, click on the record, then, on the Cataloging menu, click Close Record. Since the record is from an external database, you will not be prompted to save it.
11. Save the target record on the server.
Keywords: College, Overlay, catalog, OCLC